To inform the academy that your child is absent, please call the absence hotline on 01782 377159, where you will be able to speak to a member of the attendance team, or leave a message.
Please try to do this as early as possible on the first day, and where possible an indication of the length of absence. This may help to avoid follow up calls from the attendance team.
Please only use this number to report student absence, rather than the main academy number.
Please can we remind all parents that if your child is unable to attend, the absence is only authorised if there are genuine medical reasons. In some circumstances medical evidence may need to be provided.
If you have any questions regarding this, please contact the attendance team on the number above during the working day.
Term time leave requests and regulations regarding holidays in term time
Parents should familiarise themselves with the regulations effective from 1st September 2013, surrounding parent/carers taking their child/ren out of the Academy for the purpose of family holidays. We are committed to giving our students the best education available to them and to continue to raise our standards, this can only be achieved through regular attendance. Therefore we want to assure you that by following these guidelines we are helping your child/ren fulfil their potential by ensuring that they attend the Academy every day. We value the support of our parents/carers and we hope that you will continue to support both the Academy and your child/ren by taking all holidays outside of term time.
The new regulations are as follows:
- The Education (Pupil Regulation)(England) Regulations (2006) currently allow Head Teachers to grant leave of absence for the purpose of a family holiday in ‘special circumstances’ of up to 10 school days leave per year. Head Teachers can also grant extended holidays for more than 10 school days in exceptional circumstances.
- The amendments to these regulations mean that from 1st September 2013 Head Teachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances do not include family holidays, visiting relatives or friends, to be a spectator at sporting or other events, looking after unwell family members, baby sitting younger family members, birthdays or shopping etc
- If parents/carers choose to take their child out of school during term time without leave of absence being granted then it will be recorded as an unauthorised absence on the school register.
- If parents/carers consider that a ‘request for leave of absence’ during term time is for ‘exceptional circumstances’ then a written request should be made directly to the Principal. (This must be done in writing and include the first date of expected absence, a return to school date, reason for the absence and any additional information to support the case for it to be authorised. When submitted, the request will be considered by the principal and a decision you will receive a response in writing within 7 working days.)
- Parents/carers who fail to ensure their child’s regular attendance can be fined £60 (per parent, per child). If the payment is not made within 21 days this increases to £120.